Monday, November 12, 2007

Servoed Hammerhead: Servo and testout

Next, I mounted the servo. I routered away all of the front landing gear box, but after doing so, found out that the servo box was still too tall: the linkage rods would be flexed too far to get to the control +, and that was a problem. Luckilly, mounting the servo on the roof of the model would fit perfectly! The problem was how to mount it up there, it was all curves and wide open.. how to mount the servo in a way that it could still be twisted/removed? Greenstuff. Epoxy putty. I had a bunch, so started making a big block on each side of the servo, pinning it between the two in the floating open space where it needed to be. Before the epoxy completely set, I removed the servo, and let the stuff cure. Then, I cut away the excess, leaving just what was needed


Heres a good closeup of it all: the phillips screw visible on the control + is a handy little attachment I was happy to see I had space to mount: its a sliding set-screw sorta thing, allowing me to slide the rods and adjust on the fly, to make lining them up easier. LEDs were test-fitted, to make sure that there was room for everything planned. The linkage for the chin turret is seen , angled crossways, so the three things will spin the same direction.



Finally, I tried it out. Because I still wasnt absolutely sure the drones would actually spin when the rod went in or out... or just pop straight out. So I wasnt going to stop working on it until I could actually slap all the electronics together and give it a shot. I put burst cannons on all three turrets, to get a better feel for if theyre lined up or not.


Whew!! so it does spin! And looks awesome to boot!!

No comments: